Thursday, August 18, 2011

Wading For Carp In A Flooded Field


Recently, I got the opportunity to spend an afternoon fishing some waters with a new fly fishing buddy. Brian and I are learning how to catch carp on the fly this season. I met Brian at a local fly shop in St. Louis called Feather-Craft. Check out Brian's blog here.

Brian found a spot he calls the secret carp flats in the St. Louis area. We met up and he drove us out to a flooded field fed by the Missouri River backwaters. I lost a pair of wet shoes to the mud and then I switched to hip waders but I didn't have any socks so I got a mega blister on my foot. We did get one carp each for the day and Brian landed his first Common Carp.

I don't wade much, so I learned a few things on this outing. Here is a short list:

1. Wade slowly and when you get to a spot, be still. The carp will come back and get within a couple feet of you if you are still.

2. Pay attention to how the carp are reacting to your fly. I started the day with an orange carp carrot fly, but the carp were spooked by this fly. It is killer on my home waters, but not on that field with the light brown surroundings. I switched it up to a green wooly bugger and I had a hit within a couple casts.

3. Wear freaking socks with waders. I am still limping around from that stupid mega blister.

4. Get closer to the carp than you think you should. It is super important to see the carp and you can generally get within a few feet of most carp if you use some caution. I do have great respect for the guys who are casting long distances and getting takes. I like to ninja my way to the carp.

5. Finally, inspect flooded areas for carp. I would not have imagined carp were in this field. It didn't look like enough water to hold a puddle let alone 4lb carp. Check it out before you write it off.

I had a great day of fly fishing with a new friend on new waters. What is not to love about that?




No comments:

Post a Comment