Friday, August 27, 2010

When You Lose A Fly

17" Largemouth.
South Side Park Belleville, IL
08/26/2010
I lost my first fly this week.  I was completely unprepared for the remorse I felt.  Who would have thought?  I have lost countless lures and fishing trinkets including sunglasses and cell phones to the depths of some body of water.  I even threw a fishing pole and reel right into the lake once.  However, none of those events can compare to losing a fly that I tied myself.  While tying the fly you almost picture all the amazing fish you are going to fool with it.  You feel the tranquil breeze on a cool dusk evening on the water.  All is good.  Then, you lose it to never see again on some stupid snag.  Bummer.  That sucks.  I contemplated going into the water after it.  If no one would have been around, I might have jumped in with the same life abondedment as a parent saving a drowning child.  Oh well.  One lost and I am sure many more to come.  This first one hurts.  So, I tied another one.  No big deal.  I don't even think about it anymore.  I don't walk by that same spot in the lake and log countless mental notes and memories of losing it.  I am over it.  Really.  I am.

With my new fly that I tied up.  A lefty's deceiver in black.  I caught a 17" just shy of 2lb largemouth on the fly rod at South Side Park in Belleville, IL.  That's right, the underdog city park!

No comments:

Post a Comment