Thursday, May 12, 2011

Backstabber Fly And A New Fishing Spot


The rain some days to cold the next is balancing out and settling nicely into sunny days. I took advantage of the off days to tie up a few new flies. I found this great article about carp fly fishing and dreamed of landing a carp asap. (Check Out The Article). This dream keeps nagging at my thoughts all through the day at work. To top this off, I found a great little city pond that has several carp in it and I have been pulling quality bass out of the water. As an added side bonus, it is right next to my wife's job. That means everyday could be a quick fishing day right before I pick her up after work. Oh life's little sweet treasures! Anyways, Jay Zimmerman developed a great fly out in Colorado for Carp called the backstabber. Check out a video how to tie it. | Buy the backstabber here.




I tied up a couple backstabbers as best I could with the random materials I had laying around in a size 6 black pattern. Mine definitely don't look as good as Jay's, but they worked! I set out to catch the carp in the pond, but didn't see any when I was there. However, I got 5 bass to take the backstabber. This is the first submerged fly that I feel comfortable fishing. It feels strange to fish a fly below water as a newbie. I am just unsure how to do it, but this made sense. I highly recommend this fly. It was easy to tie or you can buy some from a great fly shop in Colorado. I hope to post some pictures of a carp that I catch on the backstabber. Until then, enjoy the bass photos.



5 comments:

  1. Ah, now you would have caught carp had your wife and her bow been there! Really though, great post and I agree....The Backstabber is a great fly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad but true. The truth hurts sometimes! Where do you guys get your supplies from for tying? I lost both the backstabbers I tied up, so I need to tie up some more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, just found your blog. I've heard some hype about the backstabber too. I'm thinking about tying up some for fishing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading JGR. You have great photos on your blog. I think I may try out the crappy carpy. Have you had any luck with that pattern and have you landed a carp yet?

    ReplyDelete